1. Pre heat oven to 200C
2. For the pastry, place the flour into a bowl. In a pan, boil the water, fat, butter and salt. Take off the heat for 30 seconds before pouring onto the flour. Mix to a smooth dough, cover and keep warm.
3. Heat the butter, and cook the onion, sage and thyme. Cool then mix with the pork and seasonings.
4. Roll out two thirds of the pastry to 8mm. Line a cake ring (12cm x 6cm, large pork-pie sized!) with the pastry, overlapping at the top. Pack the meat mix inside.
5. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid. Seal with water. Pinch the edges to join lid and base then trim. Cut a 1cm hole in the top. Egg wash the lid. Roll trimmings for decorations.
6. Cook on a tray for 15-20 minutes then turn down to 140C for 1 hour. Cool on a rack.
7. Boil the jelly then cool for 5 mins. Pour into the pie using a funnel in the hole to completely fill the gap between filling and pastry. It may need topping up as it cools. Don’t cut until cold, ideally the next day. Serve with salad and pickles.