Recipes by Nick Nairn
Great produce is the cornerstone of my food philosophy and I find the freshness and quality of their fish outstanding.More About Nick Nairn
Nick Nairn's Classic Paella with Shellfish Recipe
You will need
- 450g mussels, rinsed, scrubbed & debearded Buy Now
- 175ml dry white wine
- 4-6 tbsp good olive oil
- 8 boned chicken thighs Buy Now
- 125 chorizo sausage, cut into chunks Buy Now
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red pepper, diced
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp spicy paprika
- 450g Spanish paella rice (or arborio)
- 1.2 litres chicken stock
- large pinch saffron soaked in 3 tbsp hot water
- 12 small ripe tomatoes, halved
- 125g peas
- 12 large raw prawns (or langoustine) Buy Now
- salt and pepper Buy Now
- 4 tbsp chopped flatleaf parsley
Heat a large pan with a lid. When hot, tip in the mussels. Add the wine, place the lid on and cook until the mussels open (about 5 mins). Don’t overcook and discard any that don’t open. Drain in a colander, saving the liquid and the mussels separately.
Heat half the oil in a paella pan or large deep frying pan. Add the chicken thighs and chorizo and brown, turning. Stir in the garlic, onion, pepper and cook till softened. Stir in the rice.
Add the chilli flakes and reserved mussel cooking liquid, chicken stock and soaked saffron and liquid. Stir well, bring to boil and simmer gently for 10 mins.
Stir in the tomatoes, peas and prawns and cook gently for 10 more mins.
Once nearly all the liquid is absorbed and the rice tender, scatter mussels on top to heat through for 2 mins. Scatter over chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges.