Excellent quality, delicious taste, superb consistency – some of the best I’ve ever hadMore About Nick Nairn
1. Cut the potatoes into chunky chips.
2. Make the batter by mixing self-raising flour, cornflour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisking in the spring water until you have a smooth batter.
3. Heat the oil in a sturdy wok or deep-fat fryer to 120C. Fry the chips for 5 mins. Remove with a strainer and drain on kitchen paper.
4. Turn up the oil to 180C.
5. Dip the fish in seasoned plain flour. Now dip in the batter, allow to drip off, then, holding the tail end, place in the hot oil. Use the strainer to prevent sinking, so that the batter fries evenly (about 4 mins). Cook until crisp and remove to kitchen paper.
6. Return the heat to 180C and place the half-cooked chips back in. Cook for 5 mins until golden and crispy. Remove, drain and serve with the fish and tartare sauce.